The Boobie Blog

One woman. Two breasts. Their journey through a reduction.

Monday, January 03, 2005

The Journey Begins...

Wow. I have 4 days until surgery. I am not sure how I feel right now. I think I have gone over every conceivable scenerio in my head and I still feel unprepared.

When I started this process back in September, I guess I didn't think of how scared this surgery would make me. I mean, I have lived with large breasts all my life. They have been a staple of jokes and a part of my character for as long as I can remember. I jumped from a C cup to a D cup in high school and they have steadily gotten larger since then. Now, at 32, I am a conventional size 48DDD. My surgeon says I am more like a G.

I don't think I would have even thought much about a reduction until my back started bothering me so much. With a herniated disc as well as a bulging disc, it's amazing how much the weight in front affects everything. I tried doing water aerobics, and I fuoght my breasts more than I thought I would.

With the inactivity comes the secondary problem - weight gain. I don't feel like walking, jogging, working out. None of it appeals to me because my breasts generally get in the way.

Then, there is the asthetics of large breasts. Granted, large, voluptuous breasts are the envy of many women and the desire of even more men. In the last few years, however, I have realized that my breasts are ugly. The nipples are huge. I sag. When I sleep, I roll over on them and bruise them. My partner doesn't even enjoy them. It got to the point where I hated to get undressed because even I didn't want to look at them.

My journey took shape when I started searching for a surgeon. I actually googled her. The doctor performing my surgery has been a breast implant safety advocate and has actually spoken to the FDA regarding implants. Her record impressed me. When I met her, I immediately felt comfortable with her. Being younger, and a woman, I believed she would related to me far better than anyone else.

My surgeon is not a plastic surgeon. She is a reconstructive surgeon. She is not in it for the "pretty people." Her aim is to help those people who need it to change their lives. Immediately, she told me of the complications. She didn't sugarcoat a single thing. She ordered me to quit smoking or she wouldn't perform the surgery. She told me that I was the most high risk patient she's seen. She was real and blunt and honest and then very kindly said, "I will take your case. Let's get you feeling better." I literally cried in her office of relief.

She took the standard p0rn pictures, as I call them. Naked pictures of me are running around somewhere, I am sure. Headless, but naked nonetheless. She sent them to my insurance company and I settled in for a long wait. 4 days after she sent the pictures, I was approved for a medical breast reduction. FOUR DAYS! My surgeon said she had never seen such a quick approval. It will be covered 100% by my insurance company.

So now, after quitting smoking, the waiting has come down to 4 more days. I will be inpatient for the first night, maybe the second night, too, due to my high risk.

Today I am excited and scared. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home